15 January 2006 ~ 1,545 Comments

Awesome Banana Muffin Recipe

These are by far the EASIEST and BEST Banana Muffins I have ever tasted! Even if you think you can’t cook, they are 100% “fool-proof” which makes them all that much better! With only 8 ingredients (which you probably have on-hand) I am sure you’ll agree these are super easy. See for yourself in the feedback! There are over 1000 positive comments – if that’s not good feedback, I don’t know what is!

They are extremely easy, and great tasting! So versatile…change them up and let me know how they turned out! You just can’t go wrong with this GREAT RECIPE! If you like them, leave me a comment and tell me about your muffin victory! 🙂

Banana Muffin

Banana Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

3 or 4 Large bananas, mashed (the more bananas the moister, so I use 4)

1/2 cup white sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup, but I don’t like them too sweet)

1 slightly beaten egg

1/3 cup melted margarine or butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups flour

Mix the mashed banana, sugar, egg and margarine together. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients all together! Pour into greased muffin tins, and bake in 350 degrees F oven for approximately 20 minutes. Enjoy!

*These are much more flavourful the next day, and they freeze very nicely too!

*Also, if you like walnuts, you can throw a handful of those in there as well for some added flavour and texture, or try adding chocolate chips, or better yet, BOTH! Yum 😀

UPDATE: If you like these banana muffins, try my Carrot Cake Recipe

“THE CAT CAN COOK BOOK” came out in fall 2009 and has sold over 1000 copies! It retails for $15.95 CDN. It’s a beautiful little cookbook featuring 125 amazingly EASY recipes, photos, famous cooking quotes and family stories. To order your copy, click here. I can ship anywhere in the WORLD!

My cookbook is currently out of print. In 2012, my family and I started to eat a vegetarian diet again and while I work on cookbook #2, the original book which features many meat recipes is unavailable. I hope to re-release it again soon with many of the same recipes you love, but with many new ones added, and all of them vegetarian!

cccb-cover backcover

1,545 Responses to “Awesome Banana Muffin Recipe”

1. Brittany 30 April 2014 at 10:47 am Permalink

Love these muffins. best ones I’ve ever made.

2. Linda Anton 1 May 2014 at 10:14 am Permalink

Here are my banana raisin muffins just made. We just love them. This time added organic oats and bran buds and increased the other ingrediants you have listed.

3. Linda Anton 1 May 2014 at 10:16 am Permalink

I should mention… I am from Toronto, Canada

4. Pamela 5 June 2014 at 7:48 am Permalink

Thanks Cat for this great recipe! I’ve been using it for a few years now and change it up w/ different additions all the time. It’s the best!

5. Mary 15 June 2014 at 2:22 am Permalink

My mum who suffers from dementia but is still able to communicate, reluctantly eats anything I cook or bake. Today when I baked these muffins for someone, mum reached for one and ate it. After her lunch, as she was passing the muffins, she reached for another! That good! Thanks Cat.

6. Jacquelyn 1 January 2015 at 1:03 pm Permalink

LOVED this easy, fun recipe – thank you so much for posting – since you said it actually called for 1-C sugar, I did use 1/2-C as you suggested, but threw in 1/4-C brown sugar along w/1-t rum extract – had 5-med sized bananas that no one was eating due to all the holiday treats and left-overs so went online to locate an easy banana muffin recipe – feelin’ lucky this mornin’ to have found your website – Happy New Years!

7. Kate 7 January 2015 at 9:43 pm Permalink

Perfect. This recipe is a keeper 4 sure. Easy as. Thank you.😀

8. Mandy 10 January 2015 at 12:35 am Permalink

These, with a little addition, are SINFUL!
    I have a kiddo who requires a high fiber diet, and dessert is a great way to sneak more in; so I added an extra banana, a cup of flax meal and a 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips. They are gooey, moist decadence and a real WINNER!

9. kate 15 January 2015 at 9:05 am Permalink

white flour – is that plain or self raising??

10. StefZero 16 January 2015 at 8:03 pm Permalink

I also add some milk into this recipe. May I use milk to add more flavor?

11. wabbit 19 January 2015 at 4:57 am Permalink

Would I be able to do this using a toaster oven?

12. Kris H 19 January 2015 at 4:16 pm Permalink

Just made this and they are easy and delicious!! This recipe is a keeper! Thanks!

13. she 1 February 2015 at 5:24 am Permalink

so glad i found this site.
    never write a comment before bcoz
    it always turn out something is wrong.
    but this.. perfect! i even half it, & still turn out good
    so rare..
    a girl who like bake but the result rarely perfect

14. Ruth 3 February 2015 at 10:05 am Permalink

I use whole wheat flour in a very similar recipe and it is great.

15. pollo rico 14 February 2015 at 12:10 pm Permalink

very good recipe thanks

16. Marie 19 February 2015 at 10:32 am Permalink

very good muffins! I made them last night for a group meeting, but then the meeting was cancelled. So my husband and I ate them! (also I put some in the freezer for later). We really enjoyed them! Thanks.

17. Theona 20 February 2015 at 3:49 am Permalink

My 4 yr old daughter wanted to make banana muffins. I came across your recipe and made muffins for the very first time. I am in shock over how great they turned out and how easy they were to make. I did not have baking soda or powder so I used self raising flour. In less than an hour we were eating delicious muffins. Thank you, will be making these again.

18. Ron Cook 22 February 2015 at 4:39 am Permalink

Do you use plain flour in this recipe

19. kelly 23 February 2015 at 7:24 pm Permalink

tried these muffins and they are really nice thank you for shearing.

20. Anne-Marie 24 February 2015 at 7:06 pm Permalink

Swapped regular flour for gluten-free flour
    turned out great!

21. Sandy 26 February 2015 at 10:17 am Permalink

We have multiple food sensitivities in our house. I just made this recipe substituting a gluten free baking flour mix, egg replacer and dairy free butter. I often find gluten free baking is dry but not this recipe. The muffins were so moist and yummy. A really great recipe that I will be making again and again.

22. Jill 27 February 2015 at 12:04 pm Permalink

I just made these but used coconut oil instead of butter.

23. meera 1 March 2015 at 7:23 am Permalink

Totally yummy and easy to make… I just love it! You are a genius!

24. Laura 4 March 2015 at 7:37 pm Permalink

This is my favourite, go-to, easy, fast banana muffin recipe; I’ve been using it for years. It’s great as a gluten-free recipe too, I just substitute all purpose gluten free flour and about 1/4 tsp. xanthum gum. Yummy!!!

25. Catherine B 19 March 2015 at 4:34 pm Permalink

Just want to say thanks for this wonderful recipe. 🙂 I’ve been making it for years and have it down to memory. Sometimes I make it as is and sometimes change it up with mix-ins. Substituting the banana for pumpkin also makes it a perfect pumpkin muffin recipe!

Thanks again!

26. Mary 20 March 2015 at 11:45 am Permalink

I think I read the recipe wrong. I put 1 and 1/2 cups of flour. Is it supposed to be only 1/2 cup? They turned out too thick. Please help! I want to make them again the right way for a game day treat. Thanks!

27. Bridget 22 March 2015 at 2:06 pm Permalink

Thank you for this recipe… My family loves these muffins… I varied the recipe on & off w 3 & 4 bananas… 1/2, 2/3, or 3/4 cup of sugar… I always add 2 tsp. of vanilla extract to the recipe…. Thanks again… Love this recipe… Our over ripe bananas never go to waist…

28. MJ 25 March 2015 at 3:49 pm Permalink

I want to put this recipe on an infomercial – are you tired of creaming butter and sugar? Are you exhausted washing countless pots and pans for just one measly batch of muffins? Not to mention all those expensive ingredients that don’t even guarantee a good result! Introducing… The Awesome Banana Muffin Recipe! But seriously – I’ve made this recipe around 20 times, every time with perfect results. I use vegetable oil instead of melted marge (one less dish). And today I made a batch with 3 grated apples instead of mashed banana – OMG – it still worked! Black magic or just a perfect recipe?? Thank you Cat, on behalf of muffin lovers everywhere!

29. Ashley 28 March 2015 at 2:30 pm Permalink

I have been making these muffins for years. I add mini chocolate chips to the batter. I REFUSE to make any other banana bread/muffin recipe. I have tried others and they end up too dry or not sweet enough!

For this recipe I use a little more sugar (3/4 cup)! They are insanely delicious and healthier than those “little bites” muffins my kids use to like.

30. juney 31 March 2015 at 12:08 pm Permalink

what flour do i use:(

31. juney 31 March 2015 at 12:08 pm Permalink

what flour shall i use

32. Wanda 2 April 2015 at 6:15 pm Permalink

These muffins were very easy to make and an immediate thumbs up from my 7 year old grandson who is a very very fussy eater. Excellent for school lunch box. Make a batch and freeze and use as required. Thanks for the recipe,

33. Wanda 2 April 2015 at 7:01 pm Permalink

I made these for my parents in their 90’s and they loved them too.

34. Jessica Liew 3 April 2015 at 7:33 pm Permalink

Sorry 4 large bananas is roughly how many cups/grams?

Making these today but my bananas are small! Please answer ASAP.

Thank you!

35. Jessica Liew 3 April 2015 at 7:34 pm Permalink

Roughly how many cups is 4 large bananas? Making these today but my bananas are TINY haha! Please answer ASAP

Thank you!

36. Robin 9 April 2015 at 8:59 am Permalink

These were so easy to make, great for me my first time making muffins from scratch. They were so Good. I think next time I’ll ad some blueberries.

37. Andrea 17 April 2015 at 2:17 pm Permalink

Just made these. They are so delicious, I can barely keep myself away from them. (Trying to save them for a brunch tomorrow) 🙂 I used four bananas and a little bit less sugar and butter than was called for. They are still extremely moist and sweet. I also used half whole wheat flour. I might even try less sugar and butter and more whole wheat next time, just to increase the healthiness.
    Thank you!!

38. Jacqueline 23 April 2015 at 10:15 pm Permalink

Found your recipe while browsing this evening. Made them straight away. OMG they are amazing! Added pecans for crunch and chocolate chips for gooey goodness when warm. They are so light and fluffy. Thank you!

39. Charlotte 2 May 2015 at 9:24 am Permalink

Wow were these good! I made them yesterday with some candied walnuts and I am completely addicted! These are going in my book of favorite recipes!
    Have you ever tried these: http://muffinparadise.com/donut-muffins/#CINNAMON_SUGAR_DONUT_MUFFINS
    AMAZING!
    Thanks so much for sharing this recipe 🙂

40. sam 6 May 2015 at 11:12 am Permalink

Best banana muffin recipe,anyone reading this must try it out.like few others have said even I have tried many other recipes and none turnned out so well.

41. Charlet 6 May 2015 at 7:55 pm Permalink

Really good, moist, put coconut oil instead of butter

42. Cynthia 10 May 2015 at 4:53 pm Permalink

I have to say these are by far the best banana muffins I have ever made. I follow the recipe exactly and they are always scrumptious.

43. Lisa 14 May 2015 at 2:53 am Permalink

These banana muffins are beautiful and I’m eating one now! I used 4 bananas and put 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence in. So easy and absolutely devine!

44. Rosie 14 May 2015 at 7:03 am Permalink

This muffin recipe is by far the best! Least ingredients needed for such an amazing muffin. Have tried others but this is by far the best in terms of moistness, simplicity and time.

I use wholemeal flour and sub the sugar for honey (a 3rd cup) and the margarine for melted coconut oil.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe 🙂

45. melissa 18 May 2015 at 9:42 pm Permalink

They look great added choc chips and walnut was out of baking soda but they still turned out looking yummmy

46. Michelle 19 May 2015 at 2:38 am Permalink

This is fantastic. I just wanted to let you know that I shared this post on MY blog because I love this recipe so much. Thanks for the great recipes!

47. Ginny 10 June 2015 at 9:03 am Permalink

Hi Catherine,

Thanks so much for your recipe. I have just made these muffins on the first time and they turned out great.

48. Abby 11 June 2015 at 10:33 am Permalink

Love these! I am a terrible baker but these always turn out great, even when I try to his extra fruit in them.