06 March 2007 ~ 73 Comments

Awesome Carrot Cake Recipe

Because my Banana Muffin Recipe was so incredibly popular, I decided to post the recipe for my favorite Carrot Cake as well. This recipe comes from a Canadian Living Cookbook I was given as a gift many years ago. It is a moist, and delicious cake that is easy to make. I made it for Liam’s first birthday, and he loved it (and still does!)

Instead of icing it, I just spread some cream cheese on a slice. Less sugar, and just as yummy as it is sweet enough without extra icing in my opinion.

Carrot Cake

4 Eggs

1 Cup White Sugar

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Cup Vegetable Oil

2 Cups All Purpose Flour

2 tsp. Baking Powder

1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

1 tsp. Salt

1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

3 Cups Grated Raw Carrots

1/2 Cup Raisins

1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Nuts (optional – and omit if serving to small kids)

Beat eggs well in a large bowl, and add sugars in gradually, beating until light. Beat in oil. In a seperate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir into egg mixture. Stir in carrots, raisins and nuts(if using). Pour into a greased and floured 13X9 pan, and bake in a 350 degrees oven for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!

73 Responses to “Awesome Carrot Cake Recipe”

1. rayhana 11 June 2007 at 12:38 am Permalink

hi there,

was wondering if the white sugar can be substituted with brown sugar, i.e. making it 2 cups of brown sugar?

tks 🙂

2. dave 1 August 2007 at 3:20 pm Permalink

Hi,
    I am writing from England, is it possible to let me know how to convert cups into metric (grams or even old ounces)?
    I am not used to American measurements.

3. Bloom 10 October 2007 at 2:30 pm Permalink

i was just wondered, how many serving can you make out of it??? (How many people can you feed)?

4. Shax 14 November 2007 at 6:40 am Permalink

1 cup = 250ml

5. Cat 25 February 2008 at 6:11 pm Permalink

I think it makes about 12 or 16 pieces, depending on size. It is a nice filling cake, and honestly, a small piece is likely all you’ll need…even though you might *want* more 😉

6. Cathy 28 February 2008 at 1:01 pm Permalink

I just used this recipe to make muffins, and WOW! They are super! My husband and son love them! I will be making these often, thanks for such a yummy recipe!

7. Jean 13 March 2008 at 9:03 am Permalink

Hello there! As I have high cholestrol could I leave out the eggs?

8. Cat 13 March 2008 at 10:15 am Permalink

There are several egg substitute products on the market and I am certain that any of these would suffice. If you don’t use something as a substitute for the eggs though, I don’t think it would set properly…you’d have a mucky cake 🙂 Goodluck…let me know what happens!

9. Cakejudger 24 June 2008 at 7:13 pm Permalink

I’m tryin out deserts cuz it’s summer time, so i found your tasty sounding treat and i just happened to have all of the ingredients hope it tastes delish!!!!

10. Bev 19 July 2008 at 3:17 pm Permalink

When making the carrot cake into muffins how long did you bake them?

11. Sarah 12 August 2008 at 11:29 am Permalink

Hi there. What fab recipes on your website. Last week my toodler and I made your bananna muffins and they were perfect and yummy. We’ve just tried to make the carrot muffins today and we haven’t had as much success, they are still quite runny and can’t rise due to being too moist. Does anyone have any tips or advise as we’re just beginners, THANKS, Sarah, UK.

12. Francine 17 September 2008 at 9:01 pm Permalink

Wow Cat really can cook. I tried it and everyone liked it. I did half the recipe and baked it in a loaf pan. Thanks for the recipe

13. bob 20 September 2008 at 10:51 am Permalink

oh my lord this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. DANIA 12 October 2008 at 2:03 pm Permalink

HI DANIA SAYS
    I AM WRITING FROM LEBANON
    IT WAS AMAZING AND WONDERING HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE IF I BAKE IT INTO CARROT MUFFINS
    WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER SOON PLEASE

15. Cat 12 October 2008 at 7:19 pm Permalink

If you are making these into muffins, probably about 20 minutes or so to bake…just watch them after about 15 minutes, and insert a tooth pick into the centre of one of the muffins..when done, it will come out clean! 🙂 Goodluck!

16. Adrienne 28 October 2008 at 9:52 pm Permalink

Great recipe. I made it for my husband’s birthday and he loved it!

17. Suhashini Arulanandam 18 November 2008 at 12:51 am Permalink

To Jean: I have used ground flax seed mixed with water as an egg substitute in oatmeal cookies. There are a number of egg substitute ideas, including the flax one, at the Post Punk Kitchen site, below:

Hope this helps someone!

18. Anjali 25 December 2008 at 10:19 am Permalink

tried your recipe….and it came out really well….
    this was the first cake i ever baked and i wish all the cakes i bake in future taste as good as this one….

Happy Holidays!!

19. Natasha Conradie 11 March 2009 at 7:55 am Permalink

Hi..
    I just finished making the carrot cake muffins, i’ve iced them with some buttercream icing… and i’m eating one as i type! They’re amazing…I’ve also just taken another batch of your Awesome Banana Muffins out the oven, after just making some last night… They really are ‘so good’ and very soft!
    Thanks for sharing your recipes… will be back to try some more!

Tash x

20. kyna 27 May 2009 at 12:34 am Permalink

My kids love these bannana muffins ! I’m on my fourth batch this week ! Thanks so much for this awsome recipe. I’m going to try your carrot cake recipe this weekend.

21. Leslie 6 June 2009 at 5:42 pm Permalink

This is, without a doubt, the best carrot cake I’ve ever made. Moist, delicious and not too sweet! We love it. I make it with a cream cheese icing made with agave sweetener. and I use natural food colorings by Dancing Deer to make the decorative carrots around the edge of the top of the cake. Yummy!

22. Cathy 7 June 2009 at 10:36 pm Permalink

It came out great! And it is a great way to make my son to eat carrot. I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour and reduced the white sugar to half cup. It was still wet in the middle part after 40 mins of baking, so I baked it another 5 mins at 350 degrees, and then another 10 mins at 300 degrees. I would definitely make it again. I am thinking to use half cup of brown sugar and half cup of while sugar next time because it is still a little too sweet for a little child.

Thanks for the great recipe!

23. Sean 1 August 2009 at 4:36 am Permalink

I made these on July 26th 2009. I noticed the batter was very loose, so I added more flour & 2 cups of carrots instead of 3. I was concerned if 3 cups was to much. However, they turned out great! I work in a cafe and placed them for sale at the front counter. Within 24 hours all 12 were gone! Making double batch today August 1st 2009!!

24. michele 26 November 2009 at 6:14 am Permalink

If you substitute usweet applesauce for the oilit cuts way down on the calories. You willnever even taste the applesauce.works great for pumpkin break ect… too.

25. Priya 28 January 2010 at 1:13 am Permalink

Indeed Awesome…I just tried the receipe over the weekend and every 1 luvd it…Now gonna try out the banana cake 🙂

Thanks for the recipes

26. Margarida 5 February 2010 at 12:20 pm Permalink

I love this carrot cake!! It’s the best recipe I’ve tried so far, all the others were too full of frostings and fillings. I’ve been making it for almost a year, and it’s never failed me. My family loves it and I’ve even made it and decorated it with dressing sugar for my mother’s birthday back in November. I have yet to write about it in my brand new blog, but I plan to do so in the future… Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe!

27. Luci 19 February 2010 at 7:33 am Permalink

Can I substitute whole wheat flour for most of the cake / muffin recipes without overwhelming the flavour? … particularly your Banana & Carrot recipes?

28. Luci Feldman 19 February 2010 at 7:38 am Permalink

Not sure why my posting said my comment is awaiting moderation – unless it’s the typo on my website – but here is my question again …
    Can I substitute “Whole Wheat” flour for most of the cake / muffin recipes without overwhelming the flavour? … particularly your Banana & Carrot recipes?

29. roxanne 19 February 2010 at 8:37 am Permalink

hi, does anyone have a icing recipe to use on the carrot cake, she suggested to just use cream cheese,, but i find it too blahhh it needs some sweetener etc..please anyone with recipe for icing for carrot cake….thanks..

30. roxanne 19 February 2010 at 8:38 am Permalink

hi does anyone know of a icing recipe for the carrot cake, she suggested to just use cream cheese but i find cream cheese just too blah..it needs a sweet taste to it ..any ideas
    thanks

31. Catherine Robertson 19 February 2010 at 12:38 pm Permalink

Here you go:

1 pkg cream cheese
    1/4 – 1/2 cup butter
    1 cup + icing sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all with hand blender until blended and smooth.

32. roxanne 19 February 2010 at 4:40 pm Permalink

thanks catherine…im sure thsi icing recipe will go hand in hand with teh carrot cake recipe, thanks
    roxanne

33. Catherine Robertson 19 February 2010 at 4:46 pm Permalink

I have to admit – since I’ve started making it with the icing, it would be hard to go back to plain ol’ cream cheese 🙂 I think it’s all the butter that makes it SO good!

34. siti yusuf 7 March 2010 at 9:07 pm Permalink

Hi! There.
    Your banana muffin made me the best cook in the world.
    Your carrot cake… I’m the kitchen goddess. Super, lovely, delicious and so on…. lost of words. My family enjoy every bite.

Thank you so much for your lovely recipes.

35. Emma 27 March 2010 at 9:50 pm Permalink

This has to be one of the BEST carrot cake recipes ever. Only change I make is less cinnamon because I don’t like it and I use gluten free flour. I get really good feedback from anyone who tries this! Thank you.

36. Katherine Muir 31 March 2010 at 7:43 am Permalink

Just wanted to say that i made these….didn’t have raisons on hand, but htey still turned out FANTASTIC. I even made them into cupcakes with the cream chesse icing 😛

37. Maya 4 April 2010 at 5:01 am Permalink

This tastes absolutely divine. 🙂
    Apart from Carrots and bananas, what other variations do we have of this recipe?

38. Lisa Flenley 21 May 2010 at 7:15 pm Permalink

Hi from Australia!
    thankyou so much for the banana muffin recipe! We made them yesterday & OMG LoVe them!! We had to substitute the butter for soy butter as our youngest is lactose intollerant but couldnt tell any different!!
    Thanks again!

39. Jo Harris 15 August 2010 at 9:44 pm Permalink

Hi there
    Just made your banana muffins. Wow fananstic, thank you very much for such a simple yet yummy muffin.

40. cvj 27 August 2010 at 7:36 am Permalink

just made the muffins and they were so good that I made another batch immediately. off to do the carrot cake now!

41. Clair 4 September 2010 at 10:29 am Permalink

Hello,

Can I substitute anythink for the baking soda? Can I use 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder and no baking soda?

Thanks.

42. Catherine Robertson 6 September 2010 at 7:02 am Permalink

I’ve never tried…not sure 🙂

43. Heather Bays 24 October 2010 at 12:55 pm Permalink

This was a great recipe. I had to blog about! Come see!!
    I doubled it thinking I would make lots…but then I think I made too much, LOL. Good thing I am 8 months pregnant…I am eating for 2 right? ha ha ha.

44. artists news 14 December 2010 at 3:16 pm Permalink

Where i can find pc for sale? I don’t know to use internet

45. Catherine Robertson 14 December 2010 at 6:33 pm Permalink

In Canada – Lowblaws Stores :o) Hope that helps?

46. Mehak bhan 2 February 2011 at 9:50 pm Permalink

Hi! Your carrot cake recipe was out of the world……this was the first time I tried and we all loved it, especially the kids! God bless you!
    I am motivated to try out more of your recipes….hopefully they will turn out just as well! Any personal favorites of yours?

47. Nadine 8 February 2011 at 2:46 am Permalink

Most marvelous carrot cake recipe!
    Even more marvelous carrot cake!!
    Hot on the heels of my banana muffin success, my family is reeling from the deliciousness.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the easiest recipe ever!