These oatmeal chocolate chip cookies really are the best I’ve ever tasted and very easy to make. They are moist and chewy, not crunchy.
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1 cup (190g) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) flour
- 3 cups (135g) quick oats
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, or in a stand mixer, combine both sugars, shortening, water and vanilla and beat well.
- Add salt, baking soda and flour and mix well.
- Add in oatmeal and mix thoroughly.
- Add chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets, greased baking sheets or silicone sheets, and flatten slightly.
- Bake in 350°F (177°C) oven for 10-12 minutes. When they come out of the oven they should look slightly undercooked with golden edges.
- Leave them on the tray for about 10 minutes to set before removing.
- Raisins, coconut and nuts also make wonderful additions to these cookies, either individually or all together.
- When I make them with raisins, I always add about 1 tsp of cinnamon to the dry ingredients to make them into oatmeal raisin cookies.
- Adding coconut also gives them a delightful flavour and you really can’t go wrong with the extra chewiness the shredded coconut will add. A
- nother favourite addition has to be nuts. Walnuts and pecans are the two I would recommend, however, peanuts would also add some fun crunch and flavour.