A friend posted this today on her Facebook, and I’m so glad she tagged me in the note, so I would see it. We all know how much I love to try new recipes! So, here it is, straight from the Robinson family of Owen Sound!
“My mom faithfully made hoards of these cookies every Christmas, and we faithfully decorated each one (of course, we complained about it too – except when it came time to eat them)!” ~Heather Robillard (nee Robinson)
Robinson Family Rolled Gingerbread Boys
1 C shortening/margarine
1 C white sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
~5C all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
– Mix shortening + sugar in mixer until smooth
– Beat in egg, molasses, vinegar
– Sift dry ingredients together and blend in (start with 3 C flour and gradually add more until the dough forms a ball)
– Cover + chill 3 hours
– Roll dough to 1/8″ thick (not sure how you measure that!)
– Bake at 375F for 5-6 mins (they will not look done, but if you cook longer they will be too hard)
1. Do NOT double the recipe as it doesn’t work too well!
2. Ice with coloured Royal Icing!